It’s Vintage, Dahrling!
Your Great-gran was lindy-hopping stunner back in the day. She didn’t let the hardships of war spoil her style. All pin curls, make-do-and-mend couture, driving a classic car, with genuine 40s flair. She’d be pleased to know that vintage is all the rage again in Liverpool this summer.
Returning to The Albert Dock for the second year on the 9th and 10th July, ‘Vintage on the Dock’ is a free family event that is probably the closest you’ll ever get to experiencing a VE Day celebration in true period style.
“It will be an unforgettable family party on Liverpool’s iconic waterfront…”
The brainchild of designer Wayne Hemmingway MBE, Vintage on the Dock celebrates Liverpool’s transatlantic history by rediscovering 20th century vintage cool.
It’s Liverpool spoke to Wayne Hemingway as he prepares for the two-day event.
“It’s great to be back. Music, fashion and culture is firmly ingrained in the fabric of Liverpool and Vintage on the Dock will bring all that to the fore in a way that never looked so good.
“The lofty warehouses of Albert Dock provide the perfect backdrop for this celebration of all things vintage cool. Expect the best bits of last year to get even better – vintage vehicles, immersive street performances that wander through the evocative dockside architecture, DJs that keep the crowds on their feet all day and creative workshops for all the family.”
Albert Dock’s Marketing Manager Claire Rawlinson is excited about the return of Vintage on the Dock, and Wayne Hemmingway’s involvement.
“Last year’s event attracted huge crowds and we are over the moon to welcome back Wayne Hemingway and his talented creative team to transform Albert Dock yet again.
“Visitors of all ages will uncover a treasure trove of vintage delights, while the vintage cars will be back after being such a huge attraction last year. For those who experienced it first time round to younger generations, Vintage on the Dock will be an unforgettable family party on Liverpool’s iconic waterfront.”
This year’s highlights include:
- The vintage marketplace bringing together the finest purveyors of vintage for the curious and committed
- A visually stunning selection of classic cars rolling into the Dock for both days
- From the Beatles Story to Tate Liverpool, show-stopping street performances will weave their way through the famed cobbled quaysides of Albert Dock, including classic jazz dances from the 20s and 30s – from the Balbao to the Collegiate – courtesy of The Mudflappers; and pop-up Charleston from Antony and Steph
- Total Eclipse of the Head mobile hair salon in a caravan – be it The Kate Bush Bush, the 80’s Power Mullet Montage or the Crimping Back to the 90s, choose your music-themed hairstyle and stand out from the crowds~
- Learn to DJ from the groovy Charity Shop DJ
- Meet Gary ‘Gacko’ Bridgens – the Royal Troubadour of Piel Island, and his peripatetic perambulator of performance, Dolly, unloading his curious cargo of songs, stories and routines as this wandering vagabond explores Albert Dock (on the Sunday only)
- Vintage on the Dock takes place at Albert Dock Liverpool July 9 and 10, 11am-6pm both days. For more information on this and all other upcoming events at Albert Dock, please visit www.albertdock.com. Join us on Twitter – @theAlbertDock #VintageDock16 #AlbertDockMore announcements coming soon.
Visit http://www.albertdock.com/ and follow @thealbertdock https://twitter.com/theAlbertDock?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor